Totally fresh comments, never canned. . . catch up on all of the community happenings here.
Other Site Blogs
GameSpot Versus Beat the Pros Edition is a way for GameSpot members to test their skills against super star pro gamers. From FPS to...
Retro Weekly Report
GS Mr. Riddles Answers Activity Week 5
We're getting closer to the end of the event, as we are now in week five of our GS Mr. Riddles Answers Activity. After this week, only one more week will remain before your chance to get the rare Mr. Riddles emblem is locked away--with the emblem NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN except by those few and proud who already have it, giving them eternal bragging rights over those who missed osut. If you have any questions about the rules, be sure to check out the guidelines page here.
How to Make Better Video Games Blog Activity
We've all had that moment when playing video games, that moment where you can't help but think to yourself: "Why would they do (blank) like that? They should have done (blank)." Well, now is the chance to speak your mind and be rewarded for your efforts to make games just a little better. In honor of Video Game History Month, we are asking our Spotters to blog about how they would make video game history by bettering the things we all know and love. For more details, go to the rules and guidelines page here.
Half-Life Deathmatch Game Night Replay
This week we decided to honor one of the greatest games of its time: Half-Life. We grabbed our guns and ran about the compound trying to take down Chris Watters, Jody Robinson, and Justin Calvert in an all-out battle. This is just the beginning of our regularly scheduled game nights, so be sure to check out the schedule on the Game Night page. We're also looking for some older games, so drop by the Game Night Union to share your suggestions!
This week's member spotlight goes to Legolas_Katarn for his fantastic blog titled "The five stages of dealing with trolls."
Featured User Video
GabuEx gives us a thesis on Portal 2's ending. **SPOILER WARNING**
- Asagea_888 explains why he's looking ahead toward a new PS3 (and other stuff).
- gbrading says "Crisis? What Crisis?"
- Pierst179 shares his E3 2011 Predictions: You Know It is Coming Edition.
- Setho10 brags about playing Homefront and beating Homefront.
- Aberinkulas talks about Nintendo Consoles: Then, Now, and Later.
- Koi-Neon-X shares his first impressions of L.A Noire.
- Wisebandit explains why arcade games are nice but unconventional.
- DraugenCP gives us a sneak peek at his life as a PC snob.
- Cloud_765 updates us with Part 5 of his blog called "My Top 100 Video Games."
- YearoftheSnake5 shares thoughts on the Wii 2 and the next generation.
- IslandBros15 talks about his beloved Pokemon: "It's like my Rattata is in the top percentage of Rattata!"
- SuperfastSonic tells us which five Disney Worlds he'd like to see in the next Kingdom Hearts.
- kfJl talks about anime and other stuff.
- biggest_loser reviews Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
- SaintLeonidas reviews the movie Bridesmaids.
- Sophia Tong and her puppy Baily are up to their same old tricks.
- Tom McShea warns people that The Witcher 2 doesn't care about your feelings.
- Maxwell McGee gets nostalgic as he takes a look back at Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Takeshi Hiraoka shares why he's super-excited about One Piece Unlimited Cruse SP.
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 NeonNinja
- Soul Reaver 2 Gelugon_baat
- Painkiller stevenscott14
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction loopy_101
- Killzone 3 PSFreak1
- Fighters Uncaged Garrison_Ford
- Brink Raikoh_
- Portal 2 Maluigi
- Conduit 2 JustPlainLucas
- Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors siberian142
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire gamefreak197
- Pikmin AK_the_Twilight
- Silent Hill 2 exber
Tip of the Week
This week's tip is about the finer points of writing. Once upon a time Kevin VanOrd wrote a very thorough blog about what to consider when writing editorials. He claimed that you should take some of what he said lightly and some of it seriously because many points can be applied to other forms of written work.
-- Know the rules of grammar and punctuation.
-- Don't stick to a precise format.
-- Avoid cliches.
-- Remember that it's about the game.
-- Think critically.
"How to Better Video Games" Blog Activity Tell us how you would make video games better.
We've all had that moment when playing video games. That moment where you can't help but think to yourself, "Why would they do (blank) like that? They should have done (blank)."
Well, now you have the chance to speak your mind and be rewarded for your efforts in making games just a little better. GameSpot is having a blog-writing contest where you, our fellow GameSpotter, can make those voices heard! For your blog to be eligible, you should consider the following.
1. Flag your blog as an "Editorial Blog," and in the title, be sure to have
"This is How I Would Make Video Game History."
2. While the blog will be our main focus, we are also looking for a title that will dazzle our judges.
3. Of course, we want it to be free of grammar and spelling mistakes.
4. Use a minimum of 500 words to sum up your thought-provoking ideas on gaming industries.
5. Describe what the current trend is in the game genre that you are displeased with and what you would do to fix it if you had the power.
6. Choose a game as your prime example of what you felt was lacking that "oh-so-special something."
7.We will be considering the overall appearance of the blog that is submitted.
Now you might be asking GameSpot, "Why would I want to do such a thing? What is in it for ME?"
Well, I can answer that for you! Other than the personal joy you get from writing a witty and whimsical blog on how you would make history by making the world of gaming a better place, you will also be selected as one of 25 entries for a "Thanks for Playing" prize. And one, sparkling gem--a fantastic example of gaming know-how--will become the proud owner of a Microsoft SideWinder X6 Wired Keyboard and a matching SideWinder x8 Mouse valued at over $200!
The contest begins on May 20, and the last day to submit your blog for the contest will be Friday, June 3. Runners-up will be chosen and announced in the following week's Spam Filter, as well as the Grand Prize Winners blog for all to see. So get to writing and may the best blog win!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MUST BE LEGAL RESIDENT OF ONE OF THE 50 UNITED STATES OR D.C., 18 YEARS AND AGE OF MAJORITY OR OLDER AT DATE OF ENTRY INTO SWEEPSTAKES. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, ALL U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Sweepstakes end at 5 p.m. PT on June 3, 2011. See Official Rules for details.
This week is week five of the GameSpot Answers activity challenge. Since there were so many fabulous answers this week, not only are the emblem winners from the previous week featured, but also those who had awesome answers. Just remember that after this week there will be only one chance left to get the rare Mr. Riddles emblem. Keep in mind that you must answer at least five questions across any of the GameSpot Answers pages to be eligible. If you have any questions about the rules, go to the guidelines page for additional details.
This weeks is part one of our roulette round, with various questions from categories such as levels, strategies, maps, custom features, and trivia.
Dissidia 012: Duodecim
Is it possible to create an original rule??
Game Night 2011 Lineup
After a bit of a vacation, we kicked off game nights with a bang. Portal Kombat was a success as we watched GameSpot staff show off some of the finer points of Mortal Kombat 9. As for Portal 2, well with PSN still being down, we didn't quite get to show off all the bells and whistles of its co-op mode, but we did what we could. Now, we ask you good GameSpotters, what games do YOU want to see during this year's lineup? We've started a few discussions in the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, and General Game Discussion Boards in hopes of getting into your brains to find out what games you want to see and play. Feel free to also stop by the Game Night Union for more updates about future Game Nights here.
Week Four Mr. Riddles Answers Activity
We are entering week four of our GS-Riddles Answer Activity, and so far, things have been going well. Those who participated in the activity were awarded profile points, an immediate mention so they could brag to their friends, and a shiny rare and new emblem. After this week, only two weeks remain to become a proud owner of the Mr. Riddles emblem and be known throughout the land of GameSpot as an Answers Expert.
This week's member spotlight goes to 2ndWonder for his fantastic blog about the importance of Video Game History Month. Powerful stuff really, with an in-depth look at many of his favorite GameSpot contributions, really awesome job!
Featured User Videos
- dragon_king64 shares a video review on the PSP game: Infected.
- GeekyDad celebrates his 40th birthday with thoughts about the 3DS.
- ExoticAnimal talks about his five favorite movies of all time of his top 25 list.
- gamefreak197 looks back on Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Uesugi-dono talks about games, TV, controllers, and… cannibals?
- Cloud_765 is back again with the continuing list of his top 100 games.
- DraugenCP gives us a preview of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.
- NeonNinja shares a rough review of Rockstar's latest game L.A. Noire.
- AlmightyMax talks about some gaming diamonds in the rough.
- ShootumUP26 reviews Winds of Plague, Asking Alexandria, and The Wonder Years.
- Tom Mc Shea talks about one of the finest games ever created.
- Carolyn Petit shares her thoughts on how exclusive bonuses affect scoring between two versions of a game.
- Dan Chiappini announces the names of the lucky few who won copies of Portal 2!
- Portal c_rake
- Rift akhoralill
- Mass Effect 2 ZanarkandTidus
- Darksiders Cunhao
- Assassin's Creed 2 VideoGamerNerd
- Brink Dan_Lionheart
- GoldenEye 007 JustPlainLucas
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective Pierst179
- Professor Layton and the Unwound Futuredapman418
- Shin Megami Tensei: Personal 3 Portable Aberinkulas
- Super Mario Land Gelugon_baat
- Tomb Raider Azghouls
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Out-Of-Ammo
- FINAL FANTASY VI parkurtommo
This week's shout-out goes to our Mod of the Month c_rake for all the fantastic work that he has done in our community.
Tip of the Week
This week's hot tip is about Reading and Posting Reviews, with our GameSpot game night quickly heating up, it's important to reflect the way we review our games here.
We're back and ready for week four of the GameSpot Answers activity challenge. The winners from the previous week are featured, so they can show their friends and parents their spiffy new emblem. If your name isn't listed, don't worry--we still have two weeks remaining before the activity ends and Mr. Riddles is locked away forever. Don't forget that you must answer at least five questions across any of the GameSpot Answers pages to be eligible. If you have any questions, check out the guidelines page for more details.
This week is about the best strategy for carrying out various video game skills, be it button mashing, character leveling, or general tricks for treats.
Dissidia 012: Duodecim
How do you get Tifa to teleport?
Week 3 Answer Experts!
GameSpot Is All Shiny and New
We've made a few simple navigation changes here at GameSpot, and there have been a few secret happenings. We hope that the new look will help GameSpotters navigate with a bit more ease than before. Feel free to check out this article for more details about the changes. We understand that the changes won't make everyone happy, and we are open to your constructive suggestions and feedback. Feel free to share what you would like to see via the Feedback buttons located on the site and platform pages where you can speak your mind.
Win a Trip to Attend E3
Want to attend the Electronic Entertainment Expo but never thought you'd have the chance? Well, thanks to the good people at Klondike, you have the chance. Klondike is giving away two trips to Los Angeles, California, where you and a buddy will be able to brag to all your friends that you were there. To be eligible to win, you must be 18 or older, as well as a US resident and a Twitter user that follows @gamespot. For more information, check the recent announcement.
Riddle Me This: Week 3 GameSpot GS-MR_Riddles Activity
We are entering week three of our GameSpot Mr. Riddles answers activity. We've been very impressed with the answers we've been given by you GameSpotters, and we look forward to your future submissions. This week is all about stuff--items, schwag, and gaming goodies. Remember those whose answers are chosen will receive the rare Answers Expert emblem. For more details on this activity, you can check out the rules page.
Portal Kombat Trivia!
For those of you who missed our live game night where we showcased Mortal Kombat and a few sneak peeks at Portal 2 co-op, it was quite the event. Chris pleaded with the GameSpotter community to play with him, Jody force-fed Polybren a hotdog, and of course an awesome emblem! But if you missed the live show, don't worry, we didn't forget about you. We are having some game night trivia to give those of you who missed out a chance at an awesome emblem.
GameSpot Asia Contest & Game Night
Our friends over in Asia have a couple of activities worth considering. First, there's a special EA preview event this weekend, and they're giving away tickets! They are also hosting a Crysis 2 game night, which will start on May 6 (Friday) from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. SGT sharp. If you'd like to meet up with them, be sure to check the time zone converter! Drop by their announcement in the GameSpot Asia discussion forum
Video Game History Month
Legacy gamers! Starting today, GameSpot has launched our ongoing Video Games History Month feature. This week we'll have Tokyo Game Show, Sega Dreamcast, Duke Nukem, and Randy Pitchford featured. Also, every Friday this month we'll have a different game featured on GameSpot's Now Playing episode. This week's Now Playing episode features Mortal Kombat, but be sure to drop by each Friday to watch other Now Playing episodes with Twisted Metal, Duke Nukem, and Tomb Raider.
The member spotlight goes to Cloud_765 for making a new blog series about his Top 100 video games.
YouTube Video Spotlight
- biggest_looser has another fantastic movie review. This week he talks about Water for Elephants.
- c_rake explains that while the Nintendo Wii sensor is still coming, it might be a little late.
- Pierst179 tells us what he thinks about GoldenEye 007.
- Setho10 talks about his most anticipated summer games.
- ZanarkandTidus has been playing Mass Effect 2 and is sharing this thoughts.
- yeah_write explains what he thinks about kids these days.
- Uesugi_dono shares with us the game that just keeps on giving.
- MudkipMaster30 thinks that post counts should be removed from GameSpot.
- Hellfire-1 explains the finer points of building gate carriers in Starcraft 101.
- TechnologoDoom: explains why he thinks puzzle games are best on portable gaming devices.
- siberian142 shares his top five Final Fantasy characters.
- ShootumUP26 shares his 10 best downloadable games.
- Brendan Sinclair shares his experience using the Roxio Game Capture device while recording WWE Smackdown.
- Takeshi Hiraoka might not be doing any friendly import videos right now, but he did update his blog sharing a GameSpot Japan update about the Aquapazza trailer.
- Tyler Winegarner has posted his thoughts about the mystery of the futbol in the Portal 2 forum, but be sure to avoid reading any spoilers!
- James Kozanecki from GS AU talks about heading out to London for a Brink Tournament.
- Carolyn Petit has a blog about vintage commercials.
- Sophia Tong has more photos showing off her talented dog.
- Dan Chiappini from GameSpot AU has announced the winners of their Infamous 2 preview event contest.
- LGTX Portal 2
- Gelugon_baat Myth III: The Wolf Age
- DraugenCP Crysis 2
- asian_pride69 Hector: Badge of Carnage
- TechnologoDoom Far Cry 2
- VintAge68 Homefront
-ZanarkandTidus Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel Reviews
-ShadowLaguna Hyperdimension Neptunia
3DS / DS
-JustPlainLucas Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
- Garrison_Ford Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Daavpuke Super Sidekicks
- AlmightyMax Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
- PAJ89 You Don't Know Jack
- gamefreak197 Super Mario Bros. 3
Tip of the Week
This week's tip is about understanding netiquette. We share why you should be mindful of what you say or do on the Internet!
This week's tip is about understanding the Internet! Once something has been posted, it shouldn't be considered something you can take back. We like to think of ourselves as careful posters, thinking about your e-reputation if you will. It is very easy, in the heat of a conversation on a thread or in a blog, to post something that at the time may seem like a witty remark to you but to someone else could make you seem like little more than a bully. Here are a few tips to better improve your netiquette.
1. Remember that they are human.
Remember the golden rule that you're told in kindergarten: Do unto others as you’d have others do unto you. Imagine how you would feel having these things said to you.
2. Understand where you are.
What is considered acceptable in SW may not be in another part of the forums. It's important to make sure you fully understand the rules before posting.
3. Make yourself look good online.
It's important to remember that it is likely you will be judged by the quality of your writing. Make sure that what you are writing about is fairly logical and is void of flame-like qualities.
A couple of weeks ago many of you had a chance to participate in a beta test of our navigation menu. We also had a little secret happening behind the scenes--a new design! We hope the new design on GameSpot.com's home page, platform pages, and other pages helps you navigate the website with ease. Gone are the old website days where you have so many options you have no idea where to start! You can now find everything based on its category on the front page, and the mouse-over navigation dropdowns should be quite handy. Drop by this article to view the changes.
We would like to point out a couple of known issues we already have on our road map to have changed: the private message alerts currently go off when you have updates, and the list of games you're following shows only up to 20. These two areas will change for the better.
We understand that not every change makes everyone happy, no matter how much we love change. Therefore, if you find that something isn't working out for you, we're open to your suggestions or any other feedback you have about the changes. Feel free to share what you'd like to see via the Feedback buttons located on the site and platform home pages. There, you can make a suggestion, and other GameSpot members can suggest that your idea rocks, which will likely grab our attention much sooner! Staff members also have been responding to you about whether or not your ideas might work, so be sure to let us know what you think!
Hello GameSpotters! Have you ever wanted to attend the Electronic Entertainment Expo? Now is your chance! This year, GameSpot has teamed up with Klondike to give away two trips to Los Angeles. California, and each prize package includes an E3 pass for you and a friend.
To be eligible, you must be age 18 or older, a US resident, and a Twitter user who follows @gamespot, and you must tweet a message with the below hash sign.
Here is how you can participate for a chance to win one of the two prize packages we are giving away!
1. Enter the Contest by responding with an @gamespot tweet or by sending a tweet answering the contest question "What would you do for a Klondike Bar at E3?" with the hash sign #tweetforglory.
Note: As outlined in the official rules, your tweet must be accompanied by the hash sign "#tweetforglory" for your entry to be eligible.
2. Patiently wait for GameSpot staff to judge the tweets after the contest expires at 8:59 p.m. PT/11:59 p.m. ET on May 12, 2011.
3. If you win, you will be contacted about the prize package, but keep in mind that you do need to say your Klondike statement at E3, which isn't such a bad trade-off!
Welcome back to the third installment of our GameSpot Answers activity. The winners from the previous week have been featured below for immediate bragging rights, but don't worry if your name isn't listed, because you'll get another chance. Remember that you need to have answered at least five questions across any of the GameSpot Answers page to be eligible. Feel free to swing by the guidelines page for more details.
This week we will be talking about stuff… Literally, this week is all about in-game items, goodies, loot, and schwag, and we want to hear your take on the best way to obtain these things.
Dissidia 012: Duodecim
Where can I find the Chocobo summon? | PSP|
Week 2 Answer Experts!
Keep up the great work everyone!
Account Login Downtime
We plan to do some updates to the account login functionality starting at 10 p.m. Pacific Time on Saturday, April 30. We expect this downtime to continue until 7:00 a.m. Pacific Time on Sunday, May 1, at the latest. During this time you will not be able to log in, create an account, or edit your profile options. Think of this time as the only time you will enter the GameSpot edition of the Community Twilight Zone. The forum streets will have fewer people on them, and those contributions will be missed, but don't fret, the site will be back soon enough and you'll wake up from the dream. In the meantime, we suggest that you play some games, or you can mingle with other GameSpotters on Facebook or YouTube!
JodyR UPDATE 4/30 at 11 a.m. PT: Drop by the technical support forum to get an update about how you can continue to use your community tools while the maintenance occurs.
GameSpot MR_Riddles Activity
Yep, he is back for week two of the GameSpot Answers Challenge. Last week we talked about all things bosses, and this week we're looking for answers to puzzles and quests. So grab your thinking caps and submit your answers! Remember, the lucky few whose answers we pick as prime puzzle-fighting power will receive the Answers Expert emblem. For more details on this activity, you can check out the rules page here.
GameMarket Gets Updated!
Games! We've got games here! We wanted to let you GameSpotters know that we recently launched an updated version of the GameMarket. We gave the old girl a little sprucing up, a new look, and a bit of a change to the primary GameMarket page. Also, you can now manage and monitor your activity. Drop by the GameMarket tab for more details.
GameSpot Spotlight YouTube Community Channel
We have a new YouTube channel that is dedicated to GameSpot members and YouTube Gamers. Drop by www.youtube.com/gamespotspotlight to check it out. If you're a creative video creator, check out this week's tip to learn how you can get noticed by staff. We might select you to be featured on the page and pass your video along to the video production staff to have a mention in a show like On the Spot!
PSN Security Concerns
With the recent news about a type of security breach to your PlayStation Network account information, we'd like to make sure you are also considering all of your accounts you have on the Web. Drop by GameSpot's PlayStation 3 forum to find out how you can protect yourself.
Latest Trivia Winners
GameSpot's trivia for Today On the Spot, On the Spot, and Now Playing over the past month has been so abundant that we figured it was time to catch you GameSpotters up on who exactly is winning all of these fabulous prizes. Check the latest Producer's Note blog for details.
This week's member spotlight goes to our GameSpotter of the Year, deershadow! We're finally getting a moment to announce who won the GameSpotter of 2010! Check out his submission in reference to this discussion.
YouTube Video Spotlight
As you might be able to tell from today's announcement, we've got this awesome new channel on YouTube that will give you all a chance to share your user videos with us to feature on the GameSpot Spotlight page. This week's shout-out goes to the following video:
- tofu-lion91 posted her impressions of Portal 2 and believes that this game has many familiar highlights from the original game, while at the same time having enough additions to make it feel shiny and new, a perfect continuation of Portal.
- gbrading talks about how amazing Portal 2 can be: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!
- Gelugon_baat talks about in-game collectibles.
- yeah_write displays fantastic art for his future son.
- Uesugi-dono gives a profound look at the PSN situation.
- s_h_a_d_o shares an open letter to the Crytek Modding Community.
- NColdhardt has a list of cherry-picked songs for April.
- Pierst179 talks about the three roads of the virtual world.
- SYdoggXxX has been a busy bee lately with reviews, reviews, and more reviews.
- Cloud_765 talks about his favorite game genres.
- NeonNinja rates a wide assortment of gaming titles.
- The_Game21x talks about how "geek is the new cool."
- JustPlainLucas shares with us his 3DS activity during the past month.
- Sophia Tong makes her dog do some funny tricks.
- Justin Calvert remembers Paradroid
- Tom McShea makes a Wii prediction in his blog.
- Jon Leo from GameSpot Asia shares his Mortal Kombat impressions in a forum discussion.
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II akhorahill
- Minecraft The_Game21x
- Medal of Honor Domstercool
- Dragon Age II Garrison_Ford
- Dead Space 2 LGTX
- Final Fantasy III Cloud_765
- Rhythm Paradise SuperfastSonic
- Super Mario Galaxy gamefreak197
- Donkey Kong Country Returns Dracula_16
- Mortal Kombat Asagea_888
- Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned AzellKosMos
- Shank tennis12master
- Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage c_rake
- The Legend of Zelda Koi-Neon-X
Thanks to the GameSpotters who voted for GameSpot during in the Webbys Peoples Voice award. We will be gathering your names early next week to grant you the participation points you so richly deserve for all your fantastic support, though be sure to keep in mind that the emblems and bonus points won't be granted until the Webbys has announced the game-related category winner! The results will be announced May 3, 2011.
Tip of the Week
As we mentioned before, GameSpot Spotlight is the new YouTube channel dedicated to you GameSpotters. But how do I submit my awesome video, you may wonder. Look no further! In order to get your video featured on the GameSpot Spotlight, you need to upload the video to a location we can access. We suggest Dropbox.com.
- Go to www.dropbox.com and click on the big old Download Dropbox button at the bottom of the page.
- Once Dropbox is installed, copy your video into your Public Folder.
- Right-click [control-click in OSX] the video file in your Public Folder.
- Choose the Dropbox submenu and select "Copy Public Link."
- Compose an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line:
"SPOTLIGHT VIDEO SUBMISSION."
- Paste the link into the body of the message.
Hey everyone! Today is likely the last day you can vote for GameSpot in the Webby's People's Voice Awards . If you haven't voted yet, don't forget that we'll be granting some treats like an emblem and bonus profile points if we win. We'll also be granting some profile points if you simply have Vote for GameSpot in your forum signature, so drop by here for the scoop! We're almost there, GameSpotters! Let's show them what this community is made of!
Last week we started our GameSpot Answers activity, and the results have been fantastic! The winners from last week will earn a spot in our weekly Spam Filter News Letter along with that spiffy new Answer Expert emblem. Don't forget that you will need to have at least five answered questions across any of the GameSpot Answers pages to be eligible. Drop by the guidelines page for further details.
This week we are featuring a plethora of puzzles and quizzical quests. You may answer the question by clicking the links below.
Dissidia 012: Duodecim
How many scenarios are in Dissidia 012? | PSP |
GameSpot has been nominated for the People's Voice Award for the Best Game-Related Website.
Please show your support by following the instructions below and vote ASAP, because the deadline is April 28, which gives you three days to vote! The process takes only five minutes of your time, and every vote counts! As an extra-special thank-you gift, we'll be handing out a Webby's People's Voice achievement as a receipt that you voted, and as a thank-you for your support!
Here's what you need to do.
1. Register your account by visiting http://webby.aol.com/
2. Go to your e-mail to activate the account, which should take you to the voting recommendation page.
3. While on the voting recommendation page, click the SKIP link on the bottom of the page, because you don't have to worry about the rest of the categories until you're done with the Games-Related category.
4. Scroll to ENTERTAINMENT and click GAMES-RELATED
5. Click the tiny box to create an X in there, and then CAST YOUR VOTE!
6. Now that you've done the deed, you're more than welcome to explore the other categories to vote for the other websites worthy of being considered.
No disrespect to our fellow nominees, but if you look at the big picture, no one does what we do: best reviews, best live event coverage, best video shows, and other content that brings you closer to games than any other outlet does. Not to mention that you all get to pack your blogs and user reviews with your opinions for a chance to have your content shared with everyone by being featured in the weekly report! So let the world, and us, know you appreciate it, and vote for us today (and get your friends to vote as well)! share that you've done in this forum discussion, and learn how you can get some profile points regardless of whether we win! Obviously, if we win, you'll get even more profile points, and an achievement if you posted in the roll call discussion.
Gears of War 3 Beta Code Activity!
Today is Earth Day! Want a Gears of War 3 beta code? Here's what you need to do. In one witty sentence of 15 words or fewer, what does Earth Day and the Gears of War series have in common? Submit your answers in the comments below by tomorrow at 10 a.m. PT, and we'll select the best 10 statements and grant 10 GameSpotters a beta code!
UPDATE 4/23 at 11:04AM by JodyR: Here are the results! Congrats to xxbloodbathxx, Berack09, goku5595, Mr-Possible, ullarich, charizard1605, turbo737, deershadow, and gmax!
The Tale of the Missing SoapBox
Many of you have noticed that the SoapBox has gone missing from various GameSpot pages. This is simply us experimenting with GameSpot's beta masthead, which you can see via beta.gamespot.com. We'll update you as soon as we have more information.
GameSpot has been nominated for a Webby!
That’s right it’s that time of year again! Time for the yearly celebration of the Internet known as the Webby Awards, GameSpot has been nominated for Games Related category. The Peoples Voice Awards voting ends Thursday April 28, so get out there and show your love for GameSpot!
System Wars Magazine
The most recent issue of the System Wars Magazine reviews the online gaming world's best April Fools' jokes, calls calling things "overrated" overrated, brings you reviews of the 3DS hardware and only launch title that matters, and ties up the running Battle Royal tally.
Portal Kombat Game Night Update
This week's game night was a blast! The GameSpot staff challenged you to Mortal Kombat and Portal. Watch the replay to see what went down.
Getting in Sync With Jody Robinson
GameSpot Sync is your daily download for the world of gaming, brought to you by our very own Jody Robinson. Quick, fun, and always informative, Jody is just what the doctor ordered! So she’ll be seeing you at 4:00 p.m. GMT.
This week’s member spotlight goes to dragon_king64 for his amazing three-part video series on the brand spanking new video game bar and lounge, Insert Coins, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Sophia Tong : Perfect puppy Bailey poses in a three-part photo series of what Sophia calls “Things I Put on My Dog's Head.”
- UltraZero shares the 2010 Union Awards results, as well as the Peoples Choice for Unions.
- AK_the_Twilight Discusses what lessons Nintendo should take from the Wii.
- IslandBros15 talks about the cooperation he’s experienced in the Pokemon games.
- Kbaily takes a stand and reminds us that kids really DO care about Mario.
- SuperfastSonic shares his point of view on the topic of universal handhelds.
- Asagea_888 tosses in his two cents on the new Nintendo Console.
- Biggest_loser is quickly becoming a film critic with his latest review of the new Thor movie.
- gashoe13 talks about the original score to Avatar: The Last Air Bender.
- Cloud_765 posts his 300th blog! Wow that’s a lot to talk about! Shout-outs are given to the his personal top 10 users.
- Lord_Daemon shares with us the photography of T. Enami, whose work is anything but one dimensional.
- JokerPRO10 just got his 1000th achievement! Congratulations on the massive unlock.
- Cave Story Reviews c_rake
- Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires gamefreak197
Tip of the Week
Creating a review, blog, or a video is a very rewarding experience, but when someone takes the credit for something you worked so hard on, it can be a real bummer. Don’t let other people steal your creativity!
As you might recall, earlier this week, we announced a new GameSpot Answers activity. To participate in these challenges each week, please note that you will need to have at least five answered questions across any of the GameSpot Answers pages to be eligible. Drop by the guidelines page for further details.
This week's challenge is about bosses or enemies. You may answer the question by clicking the links below.
Dissidia 012: Duodecim
Who is the boss of the Land of the Stolen Crown? What's the best way to beat him? PSP
During the next six weeks, we'd like to do an experiment that will reward members who use GameSpot Answers. Each week, GameSpot staff will post some questions about five games using our GS-MR_Riddles account. We'll share the games and questions with you, and you'll have the opportunity to answer them. Once we have selected the best answers for each question, we'll select the best answer and contact those who will receive a reward for the week!
For those unfamiliar, GameSpot Answers (an extension of GameFAQs Answers) lets members, just like you, ask and answer all the tough strategy- and hint-related questions for all your favorite games, without having to consult a walkthrough. "How do I beat this boss?" "Where do I get this item?" And the like. The most frequently asked questions (and the best answers) get tagged and floated to the top. The member who asks the question may also select the best answer. We find that this is a great way to get that one quick tip to keep you going in your game of choice, and we hope you find it useful, too.
Since many of the games to be showcased in this pursuit of leet learning are presented on multiple platforms; to keep things sporting we ask that each user post one answer per game rather than posting the same answer across all platforms.
Each week we'll focus on a new category, which gives you all six chances to receive a reward, like an emblem or profile points.
Week 1: Enemy/Boss Help
Week 2: Quest/Puzzle Help
Week 3: Item Help
Week 4: Plot Help
Week 5: Strategy Help
Week 6: Technical Help
All GameSpot members are eligible to participate, but we do have some guidelines.
- FIVE MINIMUM ANSWERED QUESTIONS PER WEEK. All GameSpot members need to answer at least five questions across any of the GameSpot Answers pages for the week. You can select one week you would like to participate in, or you can simply answer every week. Just make sure you have five answered questions for any given week to be eligible. This doesn't have to be about the games we have selected, but to get noticed by us, we'd like to have someone active for that week. Yes, if you answered one or many of the questions the GS-MR_Riddles account asked, then that will also be counted toward the five questions you answered in a given week.
- REWARDS. Staff members will grant the Mr. Riddles emblem to the users who received the "best answered" question for each question GS-MR_Riddles asked. If you happen to answer a good question, but you are not selected as the best answer, don't worry! We also have plans to grant GS profile points to those of you who had solid answers. So, don't give up! Continue to answer the questions we have to increase your chances.
Check back tomorrow for week one's questions.
Super Button Mashing & On the Spot!
When we changed the format from a weekly live format (On the Spot) to a three-times-per-week pretaped show (Today On the Spot), you all shared how much you enjoyed the live format. We asked you this year if you'd like the live format to return, and after your feedback, guess what happened yesterday? On the Spot returned with the live webcast you have all come to love and adore. Believe it or not, we loved the live format more than the pretaped version too, even if that meant we shared some technical hiccups for you to see at any given time. What does that mean for Today On the Spot? Well, TOTS is no more, although that won't stop the community staff from using the taterTOTS mascots for emblems.
If you're worried about not having anything to watch three days a week, Chris Watters explained in yesterday's live show that we have plans to bring you a daily segment for your gaming info needs. Be sure to watch yesterday's On the Spot episode for more information.
Additionally, the video team recently shared that Button Mashing would return, but what you probably didn't know was that this episode was recorded during the Game Developers Conference. We were quite busy during that week, so we set aside the return of Button Mashing and finally revealed the first round yesterday. Watch round one of Super Button Mashing. Be sure to watch next week's On the Spot for the next round, but if you want to see the behind-the-scenes photos we have on Facebook, drop by www.facebook.com/gamespot and check out the photos there!
Facebook and Twitter Button Additions
GameSpot members who love using Facebook and Twitter now have a way to interact with our news and articles with the new implementation of Facebook [Like] and Twitter [Tweet] buttons around the site. The good news? You no longer have to copy/paste the URL in Facebook or Twitter, nor do you have to click an icon to open a small window to share your favorite links.
New Community Manager Roams the Halls!
GameSpot has a new staff member who started this week! Synthia has come aboard to assist with community management, so you now have two community managers who can help with your concerns about all things community! As you might remember, the weekly report was put on hold until we had someone to help out. To prove she's superwoman, she helped bring back the weekly report in her first week here! With her help today, we plowed through tons of your blogs. user reviews, and videos to find out what you've all been up to in the past few weeks! To learn more about Synthia Weires, drop by her blog and be sure to track her. Don't forget to tell her how much you enjoy the return of the weekly report to give her the courage to help out with them each week!
April Fools' Emblems!
We'd like to introduce two new emblems based on participation of April Fool's pranks held last week. GameSpot members who interacted in the comments or chatroom during the fake live April Fools' episode of On the Spot, Crosshairs, or Start/Select received Mr. JokerTOTS. Be careful, though; he might be edible, but he's full of deadly laughing gas! Please note that if you interacted in the chatroom, you received the emblem during the fake live show window of 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. PT on April 1. However, we still have more people to grant the emblem, and we'll be sure to notify you once the emblem has been granted to your profile.
GameSpot Staff and Moderators organized a couple of forum pranks this year. If you reacted in some way to these pranks, we tracked your activity and granted you the Forum Pranks of 2011 emblem. Not everyone has received this emblem just yet, but there are plans to grant them today. We'll also notify the ones who received this emblem once it has been granted!
Forsaken Worlds Pet Bats Giveaway!
Forsaken friends, GameSpot has gone batty! We are giving away codes for pets for Forsaken World. There are a limited number of these little guys, so get your code quick!
This week's member spotlight goes to goyoshi12 for his blog revealing things in games he would like to see in real life. Drop by his blog to see what games and items he talks about, and be sure to tell him what he might be missing.
Featured User Videos
User ReviewsThe following review writers are featured because they have the Top 100 or Top 500 emblem on their profiles.
Game & Gamers Focused
- Opnotikis shares thoughts about Earthbound.
- Alaristar has an ongoing blog series about game development.
- MudkipMaster30 has a review of Avatar Snake, an indie game.
- evrdayblues considers why gamers play games.
- PSFreak1 has a God of War wish list for the next game in the series.
- THE_DRUGGIE has a glimpse of Yume Nikki, an indie game.
- calvinsora has a blog about an overlooked game of the past.
- Setho10 Setho10 has a comparison between linearity and nonlinearity in gaming.
Platforms & Handhelds
- gamefreak197 shares his first impressions of PlayStation Move Heroes.
- kejigoto posted his impressions of the Nintendo 3DS.
- nickythenewt21 shares his history with the Nintendo DS.
- Solamon wonders if mobile gaming will hurt console sales.
- pokecharm shares her thoughts about cloud computing.
- Kevin VanOrd explains why music matters in games.
- Sophia Tong posted a blog with some information about the Gamers Heart Japan feature.
- Shaun McInnis shares what just might happen if you played a game backward.
- Kevin VanOrd answers a GameSpot subscriber's question about how we review the multiplayer aspect of games
We'd like to give a big shout-out to all the volunteer moderators for their efforts in the community. Many of them considered what we could do to make April Fools' pranks this year, and with their feedback from Photoshopping, emblem creating, and more, we were able to have a fun holiday for the GameSpotters who interact in the forums. Additionally, the moderators who have received the Mod of the Month titles for 2011 so far include: pianist, nocoolnamejim, rragnaar, and GabuEx. These moderators were voted by their peers. If you stumble upon moderators with the mod of the month emblem, it's because they've earned the title in 2011.
Tip of the Week
Want to connect your 3DS to the Net with your iPhone but not quite sure how? You're in luck! Thanks to Chickan_117 and his quick and easy steps, anyone can do it. This week's tip is a brief instructional guide that takes you step by step through the process of unlocking this feature for your 3DS.
If you use the game boards found on GameSpot's game pages, then I'm pretty sure you know about them being moderated and powered by GameFAQs. Many years ago, we combined our game boards with GameFAQs' game boards, and since then GameSpot members and GameFAQs members have been able to interact about their favorite games.
Over the years, we have considered how we can provide a positive experience for GameSpot members who visit the game boards, although as you might recall, it has been a challenge. For years, GameSpot members couldn't determine how or why they were moderated, because there were no game board moderations in their moderation history. GameSpot moderators didn't have access to GameFAQs' moderation tools, so there was no way for them to help either.
A couple of years ago we implemented a way for our members to view any moderation made by GameFAQs in their moderation history, but even that caused some confusion. GameSpot staff and moderators couldn't see the reason for the moderation to at least be able to share some advice about ways to avoid getting moderated in the game boards. When a GameSpot member asked why they were moderated, it was difficult to determine, because the reason was "GameSpot reason" on all moderated reports. We decided that there had to be something else we could do for our members, so we put in two other requests last year: post private message notifications when users are moderated in game boards, and display abuse reasons on the moderated abuse report.
The game board moderation change also gives the GameSpot moderators a way to help you determine why you might have been moderated in the game boards, although their assumptions will not always be accurate. GameSpot moderators won't be able to handle a dispute about being moderated, but that doesn't mean we can't share some advice about ways to avoid getting moderated while using the game boards.
Although we won't be able to reverse your game board moderations, I'm sure you'd at least like to consider our advice about the best ways to avoid getting moderated, right?
Be sure to read this page for more details about the game boards' function.
This Saturday's episode of Today on the Spot is giving away a couple of Halo Reach: Legendary Editions during the trivia segment. You'll want to drop by after 4 p.m. PT to participate, but we'll gather names for the winners on Tuesday--giving you a couple of days to submit your answers!
If you already have the Legendary Edition, don't be stingy! Participate in this trivia to win this prize for a friend. To be eligible, you need to be a US resident. Have a great weekend!