Chapter 3 - Capture the Flag
Capture the flag is a classic team game mode (though UT 2004 adds a 1-on-1 map called Joust!). An organized team will decimate an unorganized team every time. Players must focus on close-range and long-range defense, offense, flag escort, and flag retrieval. Teams cant win on one player alone. Successful CTF begins with teamwork.
- The translocator is a staple of Unreal Tournament CTF. Use it to traverse the map quickly (fire the translocator then translocate and repeat) and to reach ledges or maneuver through windows easily. It also doubles as a spy camera. Drop a translocator in a secluded corner of the enemys flag room and monitor defensive strength
- Like deathmatch, map knowledge is extremely important in CTF. Know the quickest way in and out of every base. Upon grabbing the enemy flag, chances are you wont have much time before enemy defenders converge on your position. Know how to escape quickly and reach the safety of your own team. This section includes map strategies for the new capture the flag maps offered in Unreal Tournament 2004. See GameSpots Unreal Tournament 2003 game guide for additional map strategies for the maps included in both games.
- Memorize the location of the maps key weapons and power-ups. Defenders should remain with full health and, ideally, with a shield reserve. Stock up on your favorite weapon and its ammunition to facilitate defensive success. Likewise, an attacker should know the location of power-ups and use them to enhance the ability to clear out enemy defenders around the flag position.
- Focus defenses on long-range and close-range support. Many CTF maps include excellent sniper locations. Use them! But once the enemy penetrates the outer defenses, you must have close-range support in place to prevent a flag grab.
- If youre captured the flag, report your ongoing location to your teammates and call for escort. Its difficult to complete a flag run without assistance. You may have to successfully combat multiple enemies on the way back. Not an easy task in any game. Intercept your flag carrier and help escort the flag back to your base.
Joust is about as straight forward as a capture the flag can be--and the most different from your typical CTF arena. Its one-on-one, there are only two additional weapons (the lightning gun and the rocket launcher), you actually begin adjacent to the enemy's flag, and theres only one route back to your own base.
Your opponent starts near your base and flag and both of you must travel through the narrow path connecting each base, like two medieval knights on horses--hence the name Joust! At the full range of the narrow path, the lightning gun will be useful but the rocket launcher will always be better as you close on your opponent. The lightning guns fire rate is a hindrance here.
Becoming extremely proficient with the rocket launcher and its alternate fire mode (firing all three in a tight spiral) is key to success here. Keep pushing your opponent back toward your flag. When your opponent drops your flag, touch it quickly. You cant score unless its returned to your base. Its all about speed. Since your opponent respawns adjacent to your base you must touch your flag quickly every time to have a hope of scoring.
AbsoluteZero features two mammoth symmetrical structures separated by two bridges. Think of it as the classic Unreal Tournament CTF map Face on steroids. Several entrances penetrate each base. You can use the lower route, which attacks the flag position from below or the upper route, which attacks the flag position from above.
If you attack from below, grab the rocket launcher and shield packs in the enemys base (likewise, flag defenders need to make sure they grab these weapons and power-ups for defense). Attackers will need the firepower and protection to push up the single staircase toward the flag. This is an easily defensible position. Its likely better to translocate up the stairwell or be sure some of your allies are engaging the flag defenders from the upper entrance.
Like Face, the base exterior is an offensive and defensive snipers dream. Youre well within range to scan the opposing base ledges and keep an eye on the two bridges connecting the bases. Speaking of the bridges, a super weapon spawns on each bridge--the ion painter and redeemer. Nothing clears a group of attackers like the painter or redeemer. And firing the redeemer up the staircase to the enemy flag position is a potent way of cleaning house. Also, look for the big keg ohealth to respawn at the bottom of each base exterior (between the two entrances).