Cowen & Company's Doug Creutz says a 2013 launch for Bungie's Destiny is possible, but not assumed.
Bungie's Destiny may not be foretold until 2014. Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz said in a note to investors today that based on Activision's earnings report yesterday, he is no longer expecting the former Halo studio's next game to ship in 2013.
"We had been assuming the new Bungie franchise would launch at the end of fiscal year 2013, with a considerable level of success," Creutz wrote. "We are now pushing our assumed launch date of the title out to fiscal year 2014."
What spurred Creutz to adjust his prediction for when Destiny will arrive was Activision management admitting yesterday that its fiscal 2013 would be a trying time. This was due in part to Activision expecting "very difficult" year-over-year comparables related to the strong debut of Diablo III.
That said, Creutz did not rule out the possibility of Destiny launching in 2013.
Destiny is Bungie's first project as part of a 10-year publishing deal with Activision. Legal documents from May suggest that this game will be released for the Xbox 360 and that console's successor in 2013, with a 2014 release slated for the PlayStation 3.
Its gameplay officially remains a mystery, though a recent report suggests Destiny will be "quite like Halo."
Initial reports had this sounding like quite an ambitious project. So I wasn't really expecting it anytime soon.
This comment has been deleted
@GamerMani West and Zampella had nothing to do with Battlefield. When they joined EA, they started Respawn Studios, which has yet to release anything other than a blurred teaser screen shot or two.
O.K. I wasn't thinking about nor expecting a new Bungie game, well ever really. Analysts need to go away. Someone really pays them for this sort of crap?
Watch this whole deal end up being the end of Bungie....
It's already happened to other developers...
Bizarre Creations cranked out critically successful games while at Activision and all of 'em bombed then they were shut down....Neversoft went from making Tony Hawk to Guitar Hero and now they make COD crap......Bungie will be next just watch...
@MJ12-Conspiracy Activision don't own Bungie so if this goes all tits up then Bungie can just move on Activision can't shut them down.
@TrueGB There are no screens yet. The image everyone uses is from a SIGGRAPH presentation they gave about some new techniques used in their new engine.
How does he work this one out? The contract says the game is targeted for fall of 2013, provided there are no delays, and any delays would be due to the development side, not publishing. Bungie even acknowledged a 2013 release date after the contract was released. I have no idea why he thinks it would be pushed to 2014.
i know bungie are developing a new halo experience for the 720, maybe the new console will arrive next year ??
You know nothing then, as Bungie was finished with Halo after the release of Reach. They are no longer part of Microsoft (which owns the Halo IP) which is why they now have a publishing deal with Activision (BOO!). All Halo games are now developed by 343 Industries, who made Halo CE Anniversary and Halo 4.
I really hope it comes out soon, just so the analyst can shut it.Im so sick of these people, what a joke of a job ya know....
so it could launch in 2013, or it could launch in 2014. Never would have been able to predict either of those on my own.
That's fine. As long as they develop the best game their abilities will allow them to, a delay can be good.
Besides, the end of 2012 and start of 2013 has some terrific games lined up. Of course, there is also GTA V, which will take up the spot of your consoles disc tray for a little longer than other games.
Content you might like…
The wait is over. It's time to dig into Bungie's ambitious successor to Halo.
- Feb 17, 2013
Users who looked at this article also looked at these content items.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 2:33 pm GMT
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 16, 2013 8:44 pm GMT