Solid Snake sneaks his way into the the top spot.
Hideo Kojima's critically acclaimed Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (MGS4) for the PlayStation 3 has debuted at number one in the overall Australian game charts, according to data trackers GfK Australia. MGS4 faced stiff competition from other big games to come out last week from the likes of Ninja Gaiden II on the Xbox 360 and Okami for the Wii.
The Wii Play bundle remains at number two for the week of June 9-15, while last week's numero uno--Mario Kart Wii--dropped into third. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for the PS2 can be found in the fourth spot, while Wii Fit remains in fifth from the previous week. Temco's Xbox 360 game--Ninja Gaiden II--only managed to make it into the sixth position during its first week of sales.
On the PC front, The Sims 2 continues to maintain its hold over the PC charts, with a massive seven out of the 10 games being Sims 2 titles.
All sales stats, including console-by-console breakdowns, can be found below:
Top 10 Full-Priced Games
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, PlayStation 3
2. Wii Play bundle, Wii
3. Mario Kart Wii, Wii
4. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures, PlayStation 2
5. Wii Fit, Wii
6. Ninja Gaiden II, Xbox 360
7. Grand Theft Auto IV, PlayStation 3
8. SingStar Party Hits, PlayStation 2
9. Grand Theft Auto IV, Xbox 360
10. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock bundle, PlayStation 2
Top 10 PS3 Games (over A$60)
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
5. The Bourne Conspiracy
6. Assassin's Creed
7. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock bundle
8. Resistance: Fall of Man
9. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
10. Heavenly Sword
Top 10 Xbox 360 Games (over A$50)
1. Ninja Gaiden II
2. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
5. Assassin's Creed
6. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock bundle
7. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
8. The Bourne Conspiracy
9. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Top 10 Wii Games (over A$50)
1. Wii Play bundle
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Wii Fit
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
7. Mario Party 8
8. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock bundle
9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
10. Battle of the Bands
Top 10 PC Games (over A$20)
1. The Sims 2
2. The Sims 2: Bon Voyage
3. The Sims 2: Pets
4. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
5. The Sims 2: Seasons
6. The Sims 2: Open for Business
7. The Sims 2: Free Time
8. Mass Effect
9. The Sims 2: Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff World of Warcraft
10. Microsoft Flight Simulator X deluxe edition
Top 10 Nintendo DS Games (over A$40)
1. Drawn to Life
2. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
3. High School Musical: Makin' the Cut
5. New Super Mario Bros.
6. High School Musical 2: Work This Out!
7. Mario Kart DS
8. Imagine Babyz
9. Imagine Happy Cooking
10. Imagine Fashion Designer
Top 10 PS2 Games (over A$50)
1. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
2. SingStar Party Hits
3. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock bundle
4. SingStar Party
5. Buzz! Pop Quiz SingStar Rock Ballads
6. SingStar Party Hits bundle
7. SingStar R&B
8. SingStar '90s
9. SingStar Rock Ballads
10. Buzz! The Hollywood Quiz
Top 10 PSP games (over A$40)
1. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
2. God of War: Chains of Olympus
3. MX vs. ATV Untamed
4. Need for Speed ProStreet
5. The Simpsons Game
6. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike
7. WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2008
8. Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
9. FIFA Soccer 08
10. NBA Live 08
All data supplied by GfK Australia.
Way 2 go Metal Gear.....full salutes to Kojima and the team and well the experimentally created clone himself Solid Snake!!
I got Ninja Gaiden 2 and got tired of it in the fourth level. I loved the original Ninja gaiden and completed it several times but this new one is just in-ur-face annoying. After completing GTA 4 like 3 times and getting the 100% achievement, I thought it was the best game I'd see this year.........until MGS4 came out. I thought the other MGSes didnt measure up to the perfect MGS 1 on PS1 but after completing MGS4, I knew it was as good as the original if not better. I'd say MGS4 deserves the top spot for the next 5 or 6 months. Its the most awesome game I've played since resident evil 4....and probably the best game we'll see this generation....if Resi 5 doesnt beat it in quality.
NG2 doing so poorly is no great surprise. It came out to rather unenthusiastic reviews, and appears to have some rather unfortunate problems with the story, camera, backgrounds and difficulty. I was planning on buying it as soon as it came out, but having seen the trailers and read the reviews, I'm just not excited about it any more. An outrage is that Okami didn't make it onto any list, showing once again that many Wii owners are more interested in cheap gimmicks rather than genuinely high-quality gaming.
i know 2 ninja gaiden fans who havent bought the new one cos they heard it had problems so they decided to spend their money on other games with one buying gta4 and the other buying a load of crap!lol!
The reason no one bought Okami is that it has been delayed a number of times and lack of any advertising. Ninja Gaiden has surprisingly sold poorly in PAL regions.
I said this last week and I'll say it again, it saddens me that The Sims 2 takes up so many of the damn PC spots. People might be denying PC gaming is dying off, but it may as well in Australia if the only games PC gamers are gonna buy are THE SIMS. Don't aussie PC gamers believe in variety anymore!?
I love it. MGS4 had stiff competition from a game that came 6th overall, and a game that didn't make the 10.... way to interpret the data.
hey Erebyssial i can honestly say to you that i saw the first copy of OKAMI at EB games today .. so i wouldnt say it is a failure so soon .. but on the part of the boards its good 2 c metal gear solid 4 ahead of the ever present wii games, finally a worthy game to do so haa
MGS4 All the way! Ninja Gaiden II is great but not as good as the predecessor due to extremem difficulty (I know the NG series are known for difficulty, but this is the hardest one ever) and it's wonky camera.
That's pretty disappointing for NGII. No one bought Okami.. sigh. I guess as a port it deserves it, but on the other hand it didn't even sell well on PS2. It's sad to see such an amazing game lack recognition.
wtf is with all those sims and singstars on the PC and PS2 lists? And its impressive RFoM is still selling...
Playing Xbox One games on somebody else's console will also require a check-in every hour. Full Story
- Posted Jun 6, 2013 11:41 pm GMT
Xbox boss Don Mattrick believes concerns over connectivity are overblown, recommends Xbox 360 for those without an Internet connection. Full Story
- Posted Jun 12, 2013 1:52 am GMT