2007 December 7 - Pirates of the Burning Sea, the MMORPG featuring action and adventure on the high seas, launched worldwide open beta today through IGN's popular game download site FilePlanet (http://www.fileplanet.com), the Web site that presents demos and betas of up-and-coming new videogame titles.
Earlier this week, FilePlanet Founders Club members were invited to try Pirates of the Burning Sea prior to open beta, and demand far exceeded expectations.
"When we heard that the Founders Club members had snapped up the initial allotment of beta keys in just a few hours, we immediately issued twice as many keys in an effort to keep up with demand," said Tim Granich, Sr. Global Brand Manager, Sony Online Entertainment, publisher of the game. "Given the early positive buzz, we've increased the number of available beta keys to 75,000 total and we're very hopeful that everyone that wants into the beta gets their keys from FilePlanet early and enjoys the game between now and launch."
Pirates of the Burning Sea is scheduled to go live January 22, 2008. Pre-order for the game is currently available in North America, and the pre-order for European players is scheduled to start December 12th.
Customers who pre-order at selected retail stores will receive:
- An invitation to the "Pre-Boarding Party" allowing them access to the live game up to 15 days prior to launch, and the ability to keep their characters, skills and equipment after launch with purchase of game and paid subscription (characters will have a level cap of 20 during this time)
- Captain's Best Friend – a blue and yellow parrot
- Mighty Blades - Swedish Rapier, Old World Steel or Musketeer's Matching Blades (depending upon which fighting style is selected)
- Original Game Soundtrack CD – 60 minutes of pirate themed music (comes in pre-order box)
SOE together with Flying Labs, the game's developer, will be hosting an invite-only launch party for the new Pirate-themed MMO during the upcoming CES convention in Las Vegas.
For more information on Pirates of the Burning Sea log onto www.piratesoftheburningsea.com and for new art assets log onto www.soepress.com
Gamers who have not yet registered with FilePlanet can do so by going to http://www.fileplanet.com.
ABOUT PIRATES OF THE BURNING SEA: Pirates of the Burning Sea is an MMORPG featuring high seas action and adventure in a bold world of pirates and plunder. Set against the backdrop of the New World of the 18th Century, players can choose one of three nations – England, France or Spain – or choose the role of a Pirate and battle it out for glory and power.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 2:33 pm GMT
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 16, 2013 8:44 pm GMT