This week's tip for the community report ended up being quite lengthy. I decided to create a blog and link to it on Spam Filter.
I find users confused about how the Soapbox feature works;the two that come up the most frequently include:
- Why are some users featured more frequently than the next user?
- How do I get added to the Soapbox?
I have provided some areas to consider before you end up flagging your blog with the 'editorial' drop down. All editorial blogs get reviews by GameSpot staff.
- Always write your blog articles with good enough grammar and mechanics. Don't forget to use spell check and grammar programs as they provide better comprehension among all of the GameSpot members.
- Do answer your own questions through research and thought. Remember, your audience (GameSpot friends and readers) are pretty savvy about the games so consider this when you write your blog.
- Don't forget to explain a genre or niche others may not be too familiar with. Some gamers may not understand certain niches like the next person. If you think it's not broad enough (say, Portal, Star Trek, and Star Wars, occasionally explain terms only found in your genre or game universe.
- Colored text or fancy fonts is a no-no. Why? They distract the reader. Consider using bolded fonts or italics when absolutely needed. All caps is obviously not helpful unless you are yelling in your blog. Who wants comments of users asking you about why you are yelling at them though?
- Uniform Visual Media - When using screenshots or photos, make sure to have all sizes the same.
- One editorial is grand, but having a history of posting them is also considered by Staff. The reason for this is because we want to be sure someone is going to update their blog with an editorial at least once every few months. We realize that it can take weeks of research, but not updating with an editorial blog after a year may have the user's Soapbox status expire.
That should get you all started!
Lastly, if you don't want your blogs to be reviewed by GameSpot staff do not flag your blogs under the editorial drop down. Thanks for reading.