The next God of War has finally been announced! I can never get bored from Kratos, but I'm dying to know specifics, and Sony are revealing so little... Here are the things I want to know:
1. Is there Multiplayer? - Everyone has jumped on the multiplayer bandwagon, so why shouldn't God of War? I am really interested in how they incorporate multiplayer in the title. I think its time for them to experiment and take risks. I thought the last God of War (3) played it a bit too safe, and I want them to explore new areas. This is not a numbered sequel, so it doesn't have to be consistent anymore. Maybe Sony Santa Monica can finally bring us the greatest hack and slash multiplayer game of all time... It has worked for shooters, but have they finally cracked the code?
2. How will it play? I'm not sure if you have missed it, but this is a prequel to the original God of War. It's during the time Kratos was leading the greek army against the barbarians. thus no Blades of Chaos! The Blades of Chaos are integral to the God of War combat. I'm just puzzled at how they're going to pull this off. Not only that but he also has no powers. Will this God of War have a completely new combat system?
3. Will we see the softside of Kratos? Some people hate Kratos' personality. He's a character that has some anger issues. But because this game will be exploring the part before his tragedy, could we see a different side of Kratos? A side that is touching, and will actually make us care about him. I love his angry side, but I'm really curious how this new side is going to change the storytelling of the game. Could this be the most emotional God of War yet? It definietly has the most potential yet.
4. Who will Kratos fight? Considering Kratos killed nearly every god in the last 5 games, who will he be fighting? Who is the main antagonist? Is it a barbarian? Is it a demigod? And what type of sequences will they put us through? In the first God of War, Kratos was seen riding a horse and leading men into war. Will we play such a sequence? Will we still fight larger than life boss battles?
5. What will it look like? Its been over 2 years since God of War III. Sony Santa Monica made one of the most impressive looking games ever. And that was their first ever product on the PS3. Imagine how beautiful this next game could look like. Will it dethrone Uncharted 3 as the best looking game this gen?
To conclude: God of War Ascension could have the potential to take the franchise to places the past God of War games didn't. That's what I'm most looking forward to. It doesn't have to stick closely to the old games, and take it into a surprising direction. But then again, its still called "God of War" So even though I do want change, I still do expect the God of War flare that has mesmerized me in the past.
It depends on the game... Mass Effect 3 is basically the same formula as Mass Effect 2...but the storyline keeps you engaged...I could say the same as the Uncharted series...but again, the storyline has kept me motivated to play. I wish I could say the story kept me interested in God of War. That's my only issue....graphics, gameplay, sound....they are all awesome in GoW.
@AMD91 - I still don't understand this: Why are prequels considered "stories that we don't care about" in video games... Look at Prometheus! (Alien Prequel) or "The Hobbit" or X-Men First Class! First Class was the best X-men film ever! I don't get the hate on prequels... Prequels can go places the original and sequels can't.
Well i thoought it would have been a PSvita game since its a prequel, and when GOW is prequel or between two numbered games it goes on a handheld, well the only hting i really wanna know is how the story will go...
@luc11044 - and that's a problem because? God of War II was the best PS2 game of all time in my opinion, and that was the same formula... GOW3 is still one of the best PS3 exclusives, and one of the best games of 2010! I really don't understand the group of people who are saying "oh its a prequel, I won't buy this"... Come E3 you're gonna change your mind! LOL!
Those are really good questions. I would like to see a different personality, got sick of his anger issues. No Multiplayer please. Not every game succeeds in this area.
I'm starting to lose interest in this series since the last God of War... the problem is, as nice as the last one looked, it's pretty much the same formula since the original.
@CoolKid006 - It doesn't make ANY sense to announce a GOW game for vita! Considering that the last GOW was a handheld game! I think it's time for a console God of War! By the time this thing is released it would have been 3 years between III and Ascension! Most games take 2 years! So it must be something really huge that's taking them so long... Last time it took them 3 years to make the engine for GOW3...
I'm excited to see if they take any risks with this game. I loved every God of War game before this, including the PSP games, but I'm worried they'll play it safe and avoid anything entirely new. I'm also a little disappointed that it isn't for Vita. That would have given me a little more reason to finally get.